Blog 01: Composition
Introduction
Welcome reader, you have successfully reached my blog post for COM-1113-01, a Graphic Software Packages class. In this blog I will be narrating my take on many professional techniques to photography. "You’ve got to find the angle that gives you something that really works, or maybe something even better" because "working the shot" is an art form not a science (Kennedy, 2012).
Deriving a Theme
Working the shot requires a subject that can be looked at completely different at every angle, creating meaning from perspective. This subject or theme is a key starting point and crucial to the creative process.
My theme was derived out of a passion of mine which allowed me to see the subject in a more personal way. The piano is a very intricate instrument that can create pure emotion through sound. This specific piano, a model of the 20th century Steinway & Sons grand piano, hides history amongst its approximately 12,000 individual parts. This theme gives 12,000 different perspectives.
Lines
This was my first attempt at experimenting with lines. It is important to "Consider where each line within the images starts and leads to" because it can direct the eye of the viewer (Bray, 2011). In my opinion this is not a bad picture, but the shot could have been improved if the lines were straight rather than bowed left, and zoomed in. I then tried to correct this in my next image and I am more pleased with the shot.
Another take on lines can focus more on the lines leading to a subject. This next photo allows for that, as the reflection creates a circular image of a tree in the distance. This is perhaps my favorite use of lines because it took many many tries to get the reflection just right.
Framing
Framing is a very useful tool that allows for satisfying images. However framing can look very differently, whether it's a border around an image or an outline surrounding a point. I took a creative approach with an internal framework using the piano's natural shadow. I happen to love this photo however it does have a slight intrusion into the shadow frame from another tuning peg. The biggest shadow in the frame is the point or focus, and the smaller intrusion in the corner of the shadow frame distracts from the subject.
Symmetry
A very appealing photography tool is the use of symmetry. This is a very satisfying technique that is easy to perfect through trial and error, it is also one of the most well received techniques by an audience because symmetry and patterns are everywhere in nature and in the world around us.
This take was very particular because a grand piano is not very symmetrical and in fact it is known for its odd shape. I had to work the shot to use the bench and the symmetrical white keys to create this effect. However, I did get some relevant background under the piano so I tried a different angle.
Rule of Thirds
The rule of thirds involves dividing the image into 3 sections and placing the subject in the first or third section. The purposeful lack of symmetry also looks appealing to viewers and that was my attempt in this next photo. I could have done better keeping the subject from infringing into the middle bracket, however I still believe this is a good representation of the rule of thirds.
Final 3 Photos
Welcome reader, you have successfully reached my blog post for COM-1113-01, a Graphic Software Packages class. In this blog I will be narrating my take on many professional techniques to photography. "You’ve got to find the angle that gives you something that really works, or maybe something even better" because "working the shot" is an art form not a science (Kennedy, 2012).
Deriving a Theme
Working the shot requires a subject that can be looked at completely different at every angle, creating meaning from perspective. This subject or theme is a key starting point and crucial to the creative process.
My theme was derived out of a passion of mine which allowed me to see the subject in a more personal way. The piano is a very intricate instrument that can create pure emotion through sound. This specific piano, a model of the 20th century Steinway & Sons grand piano, hides history amongst its approximately 12,000 individual parts. This theme gives 12,000 different perspectives.
Lines
This was my first attempt at experimenting with lines. It is important to "Consider where each line within the images starts and leads to" because it can direct the eye of the viewer (Bray, 2011). In my opinion this is not a bad picture, but the shot could have been improved if the lines were straight rather than bowed left, and zoomed in. I then tried to correct this in my next image and I am more pleased with the shot.
Another take on lines can focus more on the lines leading to a subject. This next photo allows for that, as the reflection creates a circular image of a tree in the distance. This is perhaps my favorite use of lines because it took many many tries to get the reflection just right.
Framing
Framing is a very useful tool that allows for satisfying images. However framing can look very differently, whether it's a border around an image or an outline surrounding a point. I took a creative approach with an internal framework using the piano's natural shadow. I happen to love this photo however it does have a slight intrusion into the shadow frame from another tuning peg. The biggest shadow in the frame is the point or focus, and the smaller intrusion in the corner of the shadow frame distracts from the subject.
Symmetry
A very appealing photography tool is the use of symmetry. This is a very satisfying technique that is easy to perfect through trial and error, it is also one of the most well received techniques by an audience because symmetry and patterns are everywhere in nature and in the world around us.
This take was very particular because a grand piano is not very symmetrical and in fact it is known for its odd shape. I had to work the shot to use the bench and the symmetrical white keys to create this effect. However, I did get some relevant background under the piano so I tried a different angle.
Rule of Thirds
The rule of thirds involves dividing the image into 3 sections and placing the subject in the first or third section. The purposeful lack of symmetry also looks appealing to viewers and that was my attempt in this next photo. I could have done better keeping the subject from infringing into the middle bracket, however I still believe this is a good representation of the rule of thirds.
Final 3 Photos











Comments
Post a Comment